Quote

"... from personal experience that when the people we love make choices, we don't always understand them. But we can go on loving them, just the same. It isn't a matter of comprehension. It's forgiveness."
Jodi Picoult - Vanishing Acts

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

energy and other stuff

Sorry no updates for so long... I was trying to hold on to my sanity as long as I can, and I figure no need to blog while cranky and irritable....

Anyway, I was reading thru HBR October 2007 edition. I bought it on bargain RM2.50 @ tong hing (because i'm so cheap. Heheheh-I figure I need some reading materials). Somehow I am intrigued by this article in the section of Managing Yourself. People always say, manage your time... manage your time... manage your time... But in this article, it mentions that instead of managing our time, we should manage our energy instead.

I'm quoting the article
"...core problem with working longer hours is that time is a finite resource. Energy is a different story. Defined in physics as the capacity to work, energy comes from four main wellsprings in human beings: the body, emotions, mind, and spirit. In each, energy can be systematically expanded and renewed by establishing specific rituals... "

So basically the article explained about body(physical energy), the emotion(quality of energy), the mind(focus of energy and the human spirit(energy of meaning and spirit)...By manipulating all of these, we can sustain high energy, and getting more done in short span of time. So no need to bore all of you with boring details, instead I will list down some tips to maintain high energy:-

  • Adequate nutrition, exercise, sleep, and rest to maintain high energy level. I know with many demands in lives, it's hard to practice this. But doing this consistently, say goodbye to fatigue...
  • Next step is to identify rituals or habits so you can build and renew your physical energy. eg:take brief but regular breaks at specific time (i don't think ciggie breaks count)
  • Take more control of your emotions as people perform best when they're feeling positive energy
  • If you're doing something important, don't multi task. Focus on getting important thing done first rather than juggling with emails and phone. It's more efficient to fully focus for 90 to 120 minutes rather than switching from one work to another which could cost you extra 25% of your time
  • People tap into the energy of human spirit when their daily work consistent with what they value the most and what gives them sense of meaning and purpose. I think it's the same as the saying, work with what you love best and you don't have to work a single day.
  • To access this energy, people need to re-establish priorities and make rituals for 3 categories: doing what they do best and enjoy most at work, allocate time & energy to other areas of their lives (work, family, friends, health,etc), and finally practice your core values in your daily lives.
After reading this article, I'm still gonna drink my morning coffee, but will attempt to jog after work. Malasness doesn't help my prep for my run in October. I read fiona lim's blog, she wrote that if one say she/he is always busy, then one will never have the time... I'm so bored with people who say they're busy, don't have time. If you don't have the time, then make time.

Oh, new update: I just cut my hair short! I feel so light now....

Another new purchase
  • Purse hanger from Kim. Do you know bottom of our purse is full with bacteria yet we put it on the dining table?
  • Alice Soaker for little nieces from Neneth.
I can't wait for my getaway in less than a month time if all goes well...

Until next update yea!

2 comments:

whimsical said...

yes yes yes tq 4 the idea of the purse hanger.Yup our tables generally are full of slimy thingy (the "gangansing"@kain lap meja), itself so very filthy and smelly.will buy it (part of frugality plan i.e take care of health to avoid expensive medication!)

uji said...

I love how women always can find excuses for purchase! True or not? We can always find justification for our purchase kan? Hahahah... Yes, I just got my purse hanger yesterday. Already tried it on, mmg stick on the table unless if ur bag is heavy-lah.. But it's trendy and super-cute .. ooo, not to mention useful(reason for buying it in the first place). hehehehhe