Quote

"... from personal experience that when the people we love make choices, we don't always understand them. But we can go on loving them, just the same. It isn't a matter of comprehension. It's forgiveness."
Jodi Picoult - Vanishing Acts

Monday, November 10, 2008

jobs oh jobs

Few weeks ago, I met with an old friend (ohh yes, I'm old, thus having the 'old' friends status)...

So, she just finished her study, and in the midst of starting new job... She asked me the question, how does it like starting a job... Then, I immediately said ooh it's okay, it's surely gonna be easy...

But, thinking back, it wasn't thaaat easy... I mean, I've changed 3 jobs, and they're all different in a way... They all have their own challenges, and I must say they're not that easy...

There are all sort of challenges... For one, it could be how to stay sane in the midst of crazy work schedule... How to balance your life in the middle of projects that require you to stayback past midnight. How to deal with (protective) parents who called (at 10pm) asking whether you already got home when you were still in the office. How to deal with annoying colleagues. How to stay professional and at the same time be approachable. Or it could be ...how to be productive when everyone else is slow. How to be push people to act fast. How to deal with indecisive people. How to deal with bureaucracy. How to delegate.. How to be firm yet nice at the same time...and the list goes on foreverrrr... For one, they all require some people skills... With that, I must say, people skills go a loooong way than that 4.0 gpa.

And all I want to do now.. is sleep in on my comfy bed at home and reading a good book....

3 comments:

rozanna- said...

your reference to the protective parents tu ... i can totaly relate to that. my dad even said that i "kerja macam lembu" cos i'm at the office 24-hours straight.

yes, it's very tiring and disappointing sometimes. tapi bila orang tanya how's work, i pun akan jawab ... "ok, la...."

:)

uji said...

"kerja macam lembu"? I think lembu pun balik rumah tidur at night kan? Heheheheh... Sometimes we gotta do what we have to do kan...

I also say, okaylah. Let the whining and complaining go to certain (unlucky) people. Heheheh...

Unknown said...

Very true about what you said.
GPA 4 is great but no degree/diploma will prepare us for all the politics in the office and how do handle people wisely